Friday, January 24, 2020

The Jesus Prayer



Prayer should be a part of the daily practice of the magician. It formulates a direct line of communication between the magician and the spirits. It silences the mind and opens the heart for deeper communication and makes way for spiritual gifts. It is a fantastic supplement for magic in general and can amplify mood and ability.  Those that can easily enter into a state of ceaseless prayer have a greater focus and can direct forces as necessary when they work.

Ceaseless prayer or becoming "inflamed in prayer" can be a difficult task for most to accomplish. For some trying to pick up a mantra in Sanskrit, they can run into a problem of the mantra being nothing more than sounds and the meaning lost in repetition. Others may have issue with most Christian prayers as being archaic sounding and not always having enough of a proper rhythm to get lost in. This is why I like the Jesus Prayer.

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner"

The sheer simplicity of the words will resonate with most mindful people. It acknowledges a power greater than themselves and connects to it through their flawed nature. It opens the heart to reception of divine influence which can in turn be directed towards magic. When reciting this prayer, one should say this prayer with their heart. In other words, they should direct their mind and focus to the center of their chest and allow the words to flow from there. 

My first experience with this prayer was a couple of years ago when an Orthodox friend came by and suggested that we pray the vespers after smoking hookah and hanging out. After little over an hour of prayer I took up the prayer rope he gifted me and began to recite the prayer as instructed. I almost immediately fell into a trance and began to recite the words over and over again. Before I would reach the cross at the end of the rope, I would unconsciously reverse the direction I was counting in. Apparently I was lost in trance for over an hour and when I came too I saw a shocked expression on my friend's face. "I've only seen that happen when I pray with a monk I'm friends with!"

Needless to say, it has become a part of my practice. I recognize that this isn't for everyone, but it has become a useful tool in my toolbox. It is a beautiful practice and the saints certainly appreciate hearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment